I was having a discussion today with a friend about body ‘love.’ The concept of really loving your body, regardless of what it weighs. My friend wanted to know how you change your mindset from one of dislike to one of love. How to let go of the ‘fat’ kid story.
It’s amazing how much we hate on our bodies. How we criticize and look for all the flaws. Our bodies are the vehicles that carry our souls. To thank these bodies for all the work they do lugging us around, we complain about the size of our thighs or the cellulite on our legs.
There’s got to be a better way.
To inspire a different way of thinking I spent some time reflecting on some of the things I LOVE about my own body.
25 things I love about my body
- I love that my body allows me to be active (paddle board, kayak, run).
- I love that my legs are strong & they’re always propelling me forward.
- I love that my body teaches me that I can do more than I know (like running 26 miles).
- I love that I have big bones (they are strong and hearty and to be honest, they make me look thinner).
- I love being short. I do. Can’t explain it, but I do. Good things come in small packages.
- I love that my arms allow me to pick things up (like my dogs).
- I love that my body provides the sensation of touch, the feeling of a soft blanket or my husbands hug. My body allows me to enjoy this pleasure.
- I love that I have great legs.
- I love that I have a small waist and a nice stomach. No six pack necessary. It’s perfect just the way it is.
- I love that my entire body is the perfect size for me (how could it be anything but?).
- I love the mole I have on my back. I’ve had it since I was a kid. It’s like a special mark.
- I love that I have feet to stand on. I mean how could we stand without feet. I love that mine are wide to give me extra balance.
- I love that my body is healthy.
- I love that my body sustains me. That it houses my organs and keeps me going.
- I love that when my knee was hurt it lead me to my dear friend and physical therapist (thank you knee)!
- I love that it supports me.
- I love that it tells me when somethings not working, either through pain or discomfort. It’s a great signal to check in.
- I love my hair. Long or short.
- I love my smile. There is nothing better than a stranger noticing my smile.
- I love that it is healthy enough to allows me to walk my dogs every day.
- I love that it ages with me. It helps me mark the time and gives me grace in knowing there are things in my control and things beyond it.
- I love that it’s been with me my entire life. It’s never let me down. I may have thought it did, but I was wrong. It’s always taken me exactly where I wanted to go.
- I love that I can dress it up or down with the clothes I choose to put on it. Let’s face it, dressing it is one of my favorite hobbies and I love that it gives me an excuse to shop.
- I love that it’s mine. I get to say yes or no to what goes into it. I get to decide how to move it, where to take it. It’s all mine & I don’t have to share if I don’t want to.
- I love that it allows me to dance. The freedom of movement is so joyful and powerful. Without this wonderful body I wouldn’t have the joy of dancing.
Now it’s your turn. What do you love about your body? Start a revolution in your life and put together a list of your own. Write it down. On paper. At least 25 reasons. Post your top 5 in the comments section below.